Squaring Up a Quilt Block
As a beginner quilter squaring up your block is an important task that is easy to learn but can also be a frustrating part of the quilting process if not done right. Make sure you know how to square up your blocks in order to reduce measuring and cutting errors. Whether you are squaring up small or large square blocks this method is crucial to know. Here are some tips and tricks on how to square up your blocks.
What tools you’ll need: A cutting mat, rotary cutter, painters tape and appropriate sized square ruler.
- Tip #1 Use painters tape
- With your square ruler tape the corner and the edges of what you want your block size to be on the plastic ruler. By taping off the size it will allow you to line the block up easily without having to focus extra on your lines while cutting. The painter’s tape is also easy to remove and won’t ruin your ruler or leave any marks.
- Tip # 2 Find the right square ruler
- Make sure you pick out a good quality ruler with lots of lines for measuring. Ask a friend or do some research before you go buy a ruler to see what one is best for your preferences. Make sure you have the right ruler size for your block. For instance, if the block is small such as 6 1/2″ use a 6 1/2″ square ruler. Any blocks from 7 1/2″ to 12 1/2″ can be used with a regular ruler if you want to save some extra money. If you are making bigger blocks make sure you invest in larger rulers.
- Tip # 3 Turn Your Block Diagonal
- This is an important and helpful technique when you begin to measure your block up. Before lining up turn your block diagonal then place the square ruler over it and line it up. The benefit of doing it this way is that you get to cut two sides of the block at once with easy access. Once cutting those two sides of the block flip and cut the other two sides by lining it up while using the painter’s tape again to help guide you.
Share with us on Quilter’s Thread Mobile App your tips and tricks for how you cut your blocks of fabric. Remember the more active you are on the app, the more points you can earn each month for prizes. Stay tuned for this January pattern prize Snails on the Beach. If you have earned enough points this month you will receive the Snails on the Beach pattern at the end of this month.
Live Well. Quilt Well.